
Escape to Rishikesh: Joey's Hostel - Your Epic India Adventure Awaits!
Escape to Rishikesh: Joey's Hostel - My Himalayan High & Low (and Everything In Between!) - A Review That's Real, Man!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's sterile hotel review. This is my trip to Joey's Hostel in Rishikesh, India, and I'm gonna tell you everything. From the soul-searching yoga to the questionable (but oh-so-delicious) street food, you're getting the unvarnished truth. And, trust me, it’s a rollercoaster.
First Impressions - Let's Get Physical (Accessibility & Getting There):
Okay, so, "epic India adventure" they say? They're not kidding. Landing in India is a sensory overload. And getting to Joey's? Well, that’s an adventure in itself. Finding the hostel wasn’t too tricky, thankfully. The website mentioned airport transfers and, thank god, I took it! It was a lifesaver after a 24-hour flight. Let's just say my luggage was NOT impressed.
Accessibility? Hmm… Okay, here's where I need to be honest. I didn't scrutinize the accessibility aspects like a true accessibility warrior. I’m not a wheelchair user, so my perspective here is limited. But I did notice an elevator, which is a huge plus, especially if you're on a higher floor (more on the rooms later…). From what I saw, navigating the main areas should be doable, but I'd strongly recommend reaching out to the hostel directly to specifically inquire about wheelchair accessibility, especially for specific rooms or amenities. Don't just take my word for it, folks! They can provide the nitty-gritty on ramps, bathrooms, etc.
The Room - My Sanctuary (and the Occasional Mosquito Battleground):
The rooms! Ah, the rooms. They’re the heart of the experience, right? And Joey's has a good selection. I booked a private room, terrified of hostel dorms (I'm an introvert, what can I say?). It was CLEAN. Seriously, I was thrilled. After traveling in India, you become acutely aware of cleanliness. The bed was comfy, the AC was a godsend (trust me, you'll need it!), and there was even a little desk for my laptop (hello, work and procrastination!).
My little room had the following amenities:
- Air conditioning
- Alarm clock
- Bathrobes
- Bathroom phone
- Bathtub
- Blackout curtains
- Carpeting
- Closet
- Coffee/tea maker
- Complimentary tea
- Daily housekeeping
- Desk
- Extra long bed
- Free bottled water
- Hair dryer
- High floor
- In-room safe box
- Interconnecting room(s) available
- Internet access – LAN
- Internet access – wireless
- Ironing facilities
- Laptop workspace
- Linens
- Mini bar
- Mirror
- Non-smoking
- On-demand movies
- Private bathroom
- Reading light
- Refrigerator
- Safety/security feature
- Satellite/cable channels
- Scale
- Seating area
- Separate shower/bathtub
- Shower
- Slippers
- Smoke detector
- Socket near the bed
- Sofa
- Soundproofing
- Telephone
- Toiletries
- Towels
- Umbrella
- Visual alarm
- Wake-up service
- Wi-Fi [free]
- Window that opens
Internet (or, The Struggle is Real):
Ah, internet. The bane of every digital nomad's existence, especially in India. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms? Yes! But let's be real: It was…patchy. Sometimes amazing, sometimes… a slow-motion slideshow of every cat video ever. Don't bank on being able to stream your latest Netflix binge. I found the best connectivity in the common areas. They also have Internet [LAN] for you techies but I didn't use it.
- Internet services
- Wi-Fi in public areas
- Xerox/fax in the business center
Food, Glorious Food (and the Occasional Tummy Rumble):
The food at Joey's? It was a mixed bag, as is the nature of Indian cuisine. The Breakfast [buffet] was generally good. I'm especially a fan of the Asian breakfast options (think: fluffy parathas and spicy chutneys!). The coffee was decent, and it was included. The Coffee/tea in restaurant was a lifesaver.
- Alternative meal arrangement
- Asian cuisine in restaurant
- Bar
- Bottle of water
- Breakfast service
The Restaurants were pretty good. A la carte in restaurant if you want something specific. The Vegetarian restaurant was a good option, Rishikesh is very vegetarian-friendly.
- Desserts in restaurant
- Happy hour
- International cuisine in restaurant
- Poolside bar
- Room service [24-hour]
- Salad in restaurant
- Snack bar
- Soup in restaurant
- Western breakfast
- Western cuisine in restaurant
Ways to Relax - Finding My Zen (and Losing It):
Okay, this is what you came for, right? Rishikesh is all about the chill, the yoga, the, you know, spiritual journey.
- Body scrub
- Body wrap
- Fitness center
- Foot bath
- Gym/fitness
- Massage
- Pool with view
- Sauna
- Spa
- Spa/sauna
- Steamroom
- Swimming pool
- Swimming pool [outdoor]
The first thing I did was head straight for the Swimming pool [outdoor]. It was perfect, an oasis of coolness after a day of exploring. And the view? Breathtaking. Seriously, the location is stunning, overlooking the Ganges. This is the quintessential Rishikesh experience! They had a bar, the Poolside bar, perfect for watching the sunset.
I also finally buckled and got a Massage. Oh. My. God. The masseuse worked out knots I didn't even know existed. If you even remotely think you need a spa day, just GET ONE. You won't regret it.
I tried the Sauna & Steamroom, too, but honestly, the outdoor pool was my jam.
Cleanliness and Safety - Reassuring in a Crazy World:
Look, I’m a germaphobe. And India can be…well, let's just say I didn't always experience the same level of cleanliness I was accustomed to. Joey's, however, was a pleasant surprise. They are clearly taking Covid seriously. Masks were mandatory everywhere, and sanitizing stations were omnipresent. The staff were masked, and the common areas were constantly being cleaned.
- Anti-viral cleaning products
- Cashless payment service
- Daily disinfection in common areas
- Doctor/nurse on call
- First aid kit
- Hand sanitizer
- Hot water linen and laundry washing
- Hygiene certification
- Individually-wrapped food options
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter
- Professional-grade sanitizing services,
- Room sanitization opt-out available
- Rooms sanitized between stays
- Safe dining setup
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items
- Shared stationery removed
- Staff trained in safety protocol
- Sterilizing equipment
And the fact that they offered Room sanitization opt-out was amazing, because after all that cleaning, you can still have a room of your own.
Services & Conveniences – Little Things That Matter:
Joey's offered a good range of services.
- Air conditioning in public area
- Audio-visual equipment for special events
- Business facilities
- Cash withdrawal
- Concierge
- Contactless check-in/out
- Convenience store
- Currency exchange
- Daily housekeeping
- Doorman
- Dry cleaning
- Elevator
- Essential condiments
- Facilities for disabled guests
- Food delivery
- Gift/souvenir shop
- Indoor venue for special events
- Invoice provided
- Ironing service
- Laundry service
- Luggage storage
- Meeting/banquet facilities
- Meetings
- Meeting stationery

Okay, buckle up, buttercups. Because this ain't your grandma's perfectly-planned travel itinerary. This is… Joey's Hostel Rishikesh: The Messy, Marvelous, and Maybe Mildly Manic Edition.
Day 1: Arrival, Adrenaline, and the All-Important Chai
- Morning (Approx. 9:00 AM): Land in Delhi. Ugh, Delhi Airport. It always feels like you're wading through a sea of humanity, everyone clutching their luggage like it's a life raft. Successfully navigated the chaos (miracle, I know). Pre-booked a transfer to Rishikesh. Smart move. Avoided the potential "getting scammed by a rickshaw driver" situation that I've heard about (and am secretly terrified of).
- Afternoon (Approx. 2:00 PM): Arrive at Joey's. Found it! The place is a vibrant splash of color and worn charm. Check-In was… well, it involved a mix-up with my room. Apparently, "garden view" (what I booked) translates to "view of a slightly overgrown patch of weeds" when you're on the ground floor. Mildly disappointed, but the overall vibe is so laid-back, I didn't bother making a fuss. Besides, the guy at reception, with the perpetually sleepy eyes, gave a genuine smile when he apologized and offered me a free chai. SOLD.
- Afternoon (Approx. 3:00 PM): The Chai. Oh. My. GOD. This is where things truly clicked. Thick, sweet, fragrant… the best chai I've EVER had. Sat in the common area, sipping that nectar of the gods, surrounded by a chaotic symphony of backpackers swapping stories and the rhythmic clatter of a game of cards. Honestly, I think I spent an hour just staring at that cup. Pure bliss.
- Afternoon (Approx. 4:00 PM): Decided to be adventurous (ish). Took a stroll to the Laxman Jhula, the iconic suspension bridge. Holy. Moly. The bridge is more rickety than I imagined. Watched the monkeys (they are literally EVERYWHERE), took a selfie (obligatory), and felt a surge of the "I'm finally doing this!" adrenaline.
- Evening (Approx. 7:00 PM): Dinner at a rooftop cafe overlooking the Ganges. The food was…okay. But the view? Breathtaking. Sat gazing at the river, feeling a strange, almost overwhelming sense of peace. The food, the people, the moment…it hit me. I'm actually here.
- Evening (Approx. 9:00 PM): Failed attempt at making small talk at the hostel. The other backpackers already formed groups, so I was too shy and retreated back to my room. Ended up writing in my journal.
Day 2: Yoga, River Rage, and a Pizza of Regret
- Morning (Approx. 7:00 AM): Woke up to the sound of… birds chirping? And construction. And the faint aroma of incense. The yoga class I had pre-booked. Forced myself out of bed and dragged my uncoordinated self to a yoga class with a local instructor. Let's just say my downward dog resembled a confused starfish. Managed to contort myself into the most awkward positions I've ever experienced. Feeling sore and definitely, slightly less zen.
- Morning (Approx. 9:00 AM): Breakfast. Ate a mediocre porridge while attempting to read my book.
- Afternoon (Approx. 1:00 PM): White-water rafting on the Ganges! This was the thing to do and I had to do it. We bounced down the raging river and enjoyed the views while the instructor kept yelling at us to keep paddling. I am pretty sure I spent more time getting splashed by the cold water than paddling. I had such a blast.
- Afternoon (Approx. 4:00 PM): A long nap at the hostel after the rafting.
- Evening (Approx. 6:00 PM): Convinced myself to try the local pizza place. Found a lot of people, ordered a pizza, and waited (and waited). It was the worst pizza I have ever had. All the toppings tasted like they were made a week ago. I had two slices and just sighed.
- Evening (Approx. 8:00 PM): Sat in the common area of the hostel with the guys I met during the rafting and chatted while sipping my chai.
Day 3: Finding My Center (Maybe), and a Farewell Chai
- Morning (Approx. 8:00 AM): Gave yoga another shot. This time, I think I managed to bend my body better. Still, downward dog still seems to be tricky for me.
- Morning (Approx. 10:00 AM): Wandered around the shops near Ram Jhula, the other (slightly less rickety) suspension bridge. Ended up buying a scarf I don't need and a stack of incense. (When in Rishikesh, right?)
- Afternoon (Approx. 1:00 PM): Lunch at a cafe, trying the local thali. The food was much better and tastier than the previous day.
- Afternoon (Approx. 3:00 PM): Spent some time at a peaceful spot by the Ganges, reflecting on my trip. I felt like my soul had gotten a little more peaceful, but still confused.
- Evening (Approx. 6:00 PM): More farewell chai. This time, I had a long chat with the sleepy-eyed receptionist. He told me about his life, his family, and his dreams of opening a small coffee shop someday. The genuine connection with him made me smile.
- Evening (Approx. 7:00 PM): Packing. Leaving. The thought of leaving brought a wave of mixed emotions. I did feel like I was going to miss the place, the people, and especially, THE CHAI. But, I was also excited for the next adventure.
Final Thoughts:
Rishikesh, Joey's. It's messy, imperfect, and probably won't stick to any preconceived travel plans. But that's the beauty of it. This chaotic energy, genuine people, and the amazing chai made it all worth it.
Escape to Tuscany: Unforgettable Agriturismo in Montefalco, Italy
Okay, so...Rishikesh? Why the heck *Rishikesh* and why *this* Joey's Hostel thing? Is it just influencer hype or what?
Ugh, influencer hype. Yeah, maybe a *little* bit. Look, Rishikesh is...well, it's Rishikesh. Imagine a chaotic, beautiful tapestry woven with the threads of spirituality, adventure, and a whole lotta chai. It's the yoga capital, sure, but it's also got the Ganges roaring through, crazy rafting, and enough temples to make your brain spin.
And Joey's Hostel? Okay, *this* is where it gets interesting. I stumbled on it. Literally. I was lost, hangry, and covered in dust from a dodgy autorickshaw ride. Joey's was like an oasis – a bright, cheerful space that reeked of masala and something vaguely resembling sanity. It's not just a hostel; it's a vibe. A messy, often loud, occasionally infuriating-but-ultimately-charming vibe. Think mismatched furniture, walls plastered with travelers’ scribbles, and a constant stream of international faces. It's a good spot.
What's the *actual* accommodation like? Because "hostel" always makes me think of questionable mattresses and damp sheets...
Alright, let's be real. You're not getting a Ritz-Carlton. But you're also not sleeping on a concrete slab. Joey's has dorms and private rooms. The dorms…well, they're dorms. Expect bunk beds, the occasional snorer (bring earplugs, trust me), and the delightful aroma of shared space. The private rooms? A bit more breathing room, usually.
My experience? I sprung for the private room. BEST DECISION EVER. Seriously, after a week of sharing a dorm, those few extra rupees were worth their weight in gold. I remember waking up one day, the sun streaming through the window, and just feeling…*peaceful*. Okay, the peace lasted until the chanting from the temple next door started, but still, it was good. They're clean enough, always. You could do worse for sure.
Food and Drink at Joey's Hostel - Is it hostel food or is it actually decent? And do they serve breakfast? Please tell me they serve breakfast.
Okay, food at Joey's. This is where they actually *shine*. Forget your bland hostel fare. They’re cooking up proper Indian food. Delicious curries, fluffy naan, the works. Breakast? Yeah, they serve breakfast. Crucial. You'll need energy for all the activities! The pancakes are so good. The chai is even better. I'm practically drooling just thinking about it.
But here's the thing: it's not haute cuisine. Don't expect Michelin stars. It’s simple, hearty, and… well, it’s *comforting*. After a day of white-water rafting (brutal, by the way – more on that later), a plate of dal makhani and some rice was the best thing in the world. There's a communal eating area too! Which can be nice or awkward depending on your social battery.
Okay, let's get to the fun stuff: Activities! What's the deal? Rafting, yoga, what else? Did you actually do anything?
Oh, did I do anything? Let me tell you a story - a bloody epic one. Rishikesh is a playground, alright? White-water rafting is *the* thing. And, yeah, I did it. I'm terrified of water, by the way, so this was real bravery. We signed up through the hostel. They have guides, all that jazz. The adrenaline kick in - honestly I almost lost it. The instructor must've seen the sheer panic in my eyes. One minute I was enjoying the beautiful scenery, the next I was being tossed around like a rag doll in a washing machine. The Ganges is freaking *powerful*. It didn't help that my rowing skills were apparently nonexistent.
So, the rafting. Absolute chaos. I swallowed half the Ganges, screamed a lot, and at one point, almost fell out when we hit the rapids. Somehow, I survived. I swear, I still have nightmares about that cold, rushing water. But… and this is the weird part… it was incredible. The sheer exhilaration, the feeling of overcoming your fear… I’m still buzzing. Seriously, do it, but maybe, just maybe, practice your paddling first.
Yoga? Yeah, did a couple of classes. Found myself folding into strange shapes at sunrise while the birds were singing. Quite peaceful actually. Also there's the cafes! Dozens of them, serving up delicious juices, delicious teas, and even more delicious food. There's the option to hike, of course (I missed that one out), and so much more.
Okay, I'm seeing a pattern. What's the social scene like? Am I going to be stuck in my room watching Netflix?
No, you will *not* be stuck in your room watching Netflix. Seriously. Joey's is a social hub. The common areas are designed for it – the rooftop, the little garden area, the communal dining table. You'll meet *everyone* – backpackers, solo travelers, couples, the odd group of friends. It’s a real melting pot.
My advice? Talk to people. Be friendly. Don't be afraid to just strike up a conversation. I met a guy from Germany who became a good friend one evening while we were watching the sunset over the Ganges. We were both a bit hungover, talking about how bad we were, and, boom, friendship. So, seriously, it's so easy to make friends. Just… put yourself out there. You might even find yourself accidentally joining a spontaneous drum circle, or, okay, I was a bit drunk when I did that. But the point is, you won't be alone. Unless you *want* to be, of course. Nobody's judging.
Is it safe? Like, is there a chance I'll get kidnapped by a rogue yogi or something?
Okay, safety. Yes, Rishikesh is generally safe. Violent crime is pretty rare. You’re much more likely to get a tummy ache from overeating street food (which, trust me, is also a possibility).
Joey's itself is pretty secure. There are locks, people around, you have to enter through the front door. Do the usual – be aware of your surroundings, don't flash your cash, don't wander off alone at night in dodgy areas. And, yes, maybe avoid the particularly intense-looking yogis offering you 'spiritual enlightenment' at 3 am. But overall, it's fine. Honestly, the biggest danger is probably overdoing it on the chai. Seriously, that stuff is addictive.
What's the best time to go? And how do I actually get there?
Best time to go? October to March. Excellent weather, not too hot, perfect for rafting. Summer (April-June) it's scorching. Monsoon (July-September): you run the riskStay Collective


Post a Comment for "Escape to Rishikesh: Joey's Hostel - Your Epic India Adventure Awaits!"